Here’s my response to a great topic put forward by Chalice in Chains on the idea of Aspect Stacking in Fate.
This is different than the last time, honest!
May 13th, 1998
Mission Report – Operation Sweeper
Captain Marcus J. Taylor, Reporting
The final three skills – Medicine, Program, and Survival – are here!
Game time on Saturday! Only three more skills sufficiently changed enough to warrant a write-up, look for that tomorrow. In the meantime, here’s Infiltration, Intrusion, and Linguistics.
This Saturday, March 7th, I will be playing in the first session of Thomas Elmebolm’s Stargate: Homefront three-shot. I’m really excited to be apart of it. On Saturday, I will be playing Captain Marcus Taylor, a United States Air Force JAG officer assigned to Cheyenne Mountain. Here’s a look at his sheet, pending any last minute changes:
The next phase of presenting Skills for Stargate: iteration and presenting Skill write-ups! We’ve already lost a skill from the previous list: Science has been rolled into Academics and Hardware. As I continue down the list, we will continue to prune as needed.
Write-up’s are for new Skills only. Today’s write-up’s are for Academics, Bureaucracy, and Hardware:
The Academics skill is a measure of education and general knowledge. Academics is used to overcome intellectual problems in a wide array of subjects, to present useful facts in a given situation, or for academic research. Teachers, scholars, and erudite individuals would all possess Academics.
- Overcome: Academics can be used to overcome obstacles that requires academic knowledge to achieve a goal or any time an answer to a difficult question is needed, where there is tension in not knowing the answer.
- Create Advantage: Academics can be used in a variety of circumstances to create advantage, given an opportunity to research the subject in question. Generally, this is to gain a story detail, but if that information could give you an edge later it could take the form of an aspect. Academics may also be used in this way on the fly, if the subject has been previously studied or specialized in.
- Attack: Academics isn’t used in conflicts.
- Defend: As Attack, Academics isn’t used to defend
Specialist: Choose a field of specialization, such as sociology or biology. You gain +2 to all Academics rolls within your specialty.
R&D Whiz: Your research efforts take two time increments less than they normally would.
The Bureaucracy skill measures the ability to navigate complex social organizations, such as governments and corporations. It can be used to overcome administrative and political problems, in negotiations with large organizations, to determine the structure and climate within an organization, or to create political advantage within it. Lawyers, politicians, and corporate managers would all possess Bureaucracy.
- Overcome: Bureaucracy can be used to overcome administrative and political obstacles. It can also be used to create a favorable impression during negotiations through demonstrating proper etiquette and protocol.
- Create Advantage: Bureaucracy can be used to declare story details as it relates to an organization, given time to study it. It can also be used to represent advantages gained through backroom dealings, political maneuvering, and “gaming the system”.
- Attack: Bureaucracy is not used in conflicts.
- Defend: Bureaucracy isn’t used to defend.
Expert Pencil Pusher: You gain +2 when overcoming administrative issues.
Insider Trading: You may use Bureaucracy in place of Resources when manipulating corporate stock and holdings.
Hardware encompasses the ability to build, repair, physically, hack, and upgrade equipment. It also represents know-how about technology and demolitions. Engineers, scientists, and explosive experts would all possess Hardware.
- Overcome: With the right amount of time and the proper tools, Hardware can be used to build, modify, and hack. Actions with Hardware often happen as a component of more complex situations, making it useful in challenges. The time-frame needed is determined by the GM; succeeding with style could render the accomplishment better or faster.
- Create Advantage: Hardware can be used to create aspects representing features of physical equipment, identifying useful components or strengths and vulnerabilities to be exploited, and general technological knowledge. Hardware can also be used to represent sabotage or jury-rigging of mechanical objects on scene. For demolitions, it allows placing of aspects related to explosives and explosions.
- Attack: Hardware isn’t used to attack; for immediate use of explosive devices, such as grenades, use Athletics
- Defend: Hardware isn’t used to defend
Minesweeper: You may use Hardware instead of Notice to detect the presence of mines and other hidden explosive devices.
Hot-wiring: You gain +2 when using physically hacking mechanical or technical systems.
Let me know in the comments what you think about these skills! Next write-ups will be for Infiltrate, Intrusion, and Linguistics (should it survive).
EDIT 04/27/2016: Added Stunt examples to Skills.